September Cliff 2016

It’s been a funny crafting month, this month. I went to the Handmade Fair with my Mum a few weeks ago and was inspired with so many more crafty ideas of things to try that I overwhelmed myself. So September Cliff is a quick and simple make, done in an afternoon, to make way for all the other projects I’m trying to cram into my already busy schedule! So – on to paper flowers. I used my trusty Anyone Can Papercraft book as a starting point, adapting the instructions for paper poppies.


Armed with floristry tape and wire I began by using a small piece of foam which I secured with the wire to form the centre of my flower. I then put a small circle of card on top of the foam and covered it with two circles of green tissue paper which I secured with the tape. Wow – floristry tape is weird! I expected it to be like washi tape but it’s only mildly tacky until it comes into contact with itself, then it’s super sticky – weird! I decorated each flower centre with gold marker. Using 5cm by 10cm rectangles of the calendar I fringed each piece with scissors then wrapped it round each flower centre, using more tape to secure. In the poppy pattern that I adapted, the poppies were created using 7 petals made of crepe paper, unfortunately, the size of my calendar pages didn’t afford me the luxury of making more than 6 petals so when I say I adapted the pattern, I was actually forced to, to be able to make the whole project work! Also, once again, the consistency of the calendar paper (stiff and shiny) as opposed to crepe paper (stretchy and pretty floaty) meant that my flowers – using just one petal – kind of look like a bit like cala lillies, which I’m pretty happy with. Cliff on his Harley Davidson in his double denim worked well colour-wise, lovely shades of blue for the petals with white centres. A quick but relatively successful make – all in all!


I’m struggling for inspiration for October so if anyone has any ideas for transforming a piece of roughly 30cm by 40cm paper into something beautiful or functional, please let me know!

Capelet – February-April 2016

I fell in love with Sirdar’s Beachcomber yarn as soon as I saw it. Something about this shade (called Catch the Sun) with its subtle greys and pops of luminous yellow really appeals to me. So when I found it on offer at Hobbycraft for half price, I snapped up 4 balls. I’ve felt like I’ve had a few crafting commitments over the last couple of months so I’ve decided to start this project for myself. I have a pattern for a capelet which, as usual, I’ve adapted to make slightly wider. This means that it will sit slightly off the shoulder rather than up round my neck. The pattern isn’t as pronounced as it could be because of the slubbed yarn but it’s already looking quite beautiful. 14 rows of 234 done – I may have it finished in time for the summer!
dsc_0031-2
I gave myself a May deadline for this project and managed to get it done in April. The design is very simple, the texture is a bit like a waffle pattern created by a p3, k1 sort of sequence. In the pattern, the button was sewn into place through both layers of the capelet but I chose to put in a popper / press stud before sewing the button on for a bit more flexibility. I love the button, it’s made of bamboo and works well with the yarn colours – a chance find during a mooch around the haberdashery section of John Lewis (possibly one of my favourite places!).  This is one of the first actual pieces of clothing that I’ve made for myself other than gloves and scarves and yes it is only one step up from a scarf but I’m pretty pleased with it and I wear it all the time!
Yarn: Sirdar Beachcomber DK in Catch the Sun (shade 260)
Pattern: Mollie Makes Issue 44