Valentine and Birthday Time – February 2016

Working at the same time as the capelet (although not literally – that would be mad crazy skills!) I made a string of tiny bunting using washi tape and baker’s twine. My collection of washi tape expands on a regular basis, much to my husband’s dismay, so it’s nice to have used some of it to create something so pretty. I think I may have a problem (read addiction) but all the different tapes are so beautiful I find it almost impossible to resist… I created it as part of the decorations for my daughter’s birthday party – but more of that later!
My daughter was born the day after Valentine’s day so February is always a challenge for me craft wise. I’ve therefore this week, also completed my husband’s Valentine’s card. It’s been inspired by one of the many free Mollie Makes kits I’ve received over the years, all nautical and sailor tattoo themed but good fun. The background is a piece of my son’s trousers that were so completely mud-stained at the knees that I haven’t been able to get them clean – put to good use here!
The party decorations / preparations were completed in time and I’m pleased to say, met the incredibly high expectations of my daughter! She had been bugging me for ages to make her a tiger outfit. I compromised by making an A-line tunic from tiger print fleece fabric. It turned out much better than I expected. I bought a metre of fabric which I folded in half. I cut a neckline and sleeve holes then sewed up each side on the sewing machine. I added a floral bias binding trim around the neck to finish it off. Matching tiger ears sewn onto a headband completed the look. The tiger theme continued with the birthday card – a simple embroidery design using felt and more recycled trouser fabric for the background. I made tiger cupcakes and a tiger themed big cake – many, many tigers but I do as I am told! I also crafted a happy birthday plaque type thing – 3D letters, or more accurately words, fashioned from leftover packaging cardboard, covered in phone directory pages (an invaluable source of papier mache paper over the years!), all finished off with coloured tissue paper. I feel this particular decoration will be used and re-used for many birthdays to come!

Cheating on the Blanket – April-August 2014

I have to confess that during the creation of the blanket, I moonlighted on several other projects and this is my round up of them all!

I completed my first “pinned it, made it” Pinterest challenge – a tutu for Georgia’s fancy dress party. I’m incredibly proud of it! It’s a very simple design, strips of pink and black netting knotted round a circle of elastic, but very effective – my little superhero!
Materials: Black and Pink Tulle Netting, 1″ elastic

As another quick aside, I made a little cherry brooch from a Mollie Makes kit – very cute and easy to make.
Materials: Craft Kit from Mollie Makes Issue 43

I’ve also been working on a new home card for a friend. More crochet in the form of a little house. I used the following pattern (translated from American to English) for the tiny heart on the front:
Magic ring, 2tr, 2htr, 1tr, 2htr, 2tr, ch2 sl st to join
I just remembered to get a photo before enveloping it up. Very pleased with the way it turned out in the end.

I also started off making a whole load of crochet roses. I bought a pack of Lion Brand Bonbons yarn – little 10g balls of 8 crayon inspired acrylic yarns (bright green, tangerine, bright orange, yellow, aqua blue, purple, red, and hot pink) and set about making one in each colour to make a garland or other such decorative thing (Feb 2016 update – I’m still trying to achieve this aim! I’ve made quite a few flowers but they keep getting used on different projects!)
Materials: Lion Brand Bonbons yarn pack, Pattern from Summer Homestyle pull out from Mollie Makes Issue 40DSC_0417

Quick make of another pair of hightops for a friend’s new baby girl. I really like them. I used a bigger hook to make them this time so hopefully they’ll fit for longer than Eddie’s did.
Yarn: Sirdar Baby Crofter in shade 148 Georgie